The new PDA rule, when enforced had many people frustrated, including me.The PDA rule is that you can not hold hands, embrace (hugs of any sort), or kiss the opposite gender. Yes, on some of these I do agree that it shouldn't be allow and are inappropiate at school, but the main issue on this rule that had many people frustrated was no hugging. To me, this is an extreme. Hugging is a very common sign of affection, and I do not believe it is inappropiate. Although I am in a relationship, I would still feel the same way on this subject, even if I wasn't. I believe in hugging.
Besides hugging just being an affectionate way to show compassion, scientific studies show that it benefits not only mental health but physical health as well. Studies show that huggers opposed to non-huggers have lower blood pressure and heart rates. People who hug are more likely to be able to open up to their emotions and a simple hug increases the person's overall mood. Hugs also gives the person a sense of acceptance and creates a bondage between people.
Our school represents a family, to everyone that attends our school, whether staff or student, we all have one thing in common and that is that we are a family in Christ. Being a family, feeling acceptance and having bondage of friendship is vital. Talking, encouraging each other, playing sports or games with each other is all things that communicate love and friendship; but one thing that can not be replaced by another action, that needs no words to communicate, is a hug. Not all people benefit the most from hearing that they are a great friend or are appreciated, as much as a hug can benefit them. Hugs set aside any differences and is something that you can't give without taking or take without giving. Its a universal sign of friendship. Hugs create a special bond that I believe are essential to friendships. I believe that as a family, hugging should be allowed between any gender.
Although the rule may seem harmless to have, it does have potential effects to the students who are required to go by this rule throughout high school. Not being use to or allowed to hug the opposite gender can create some problems in social situations. This can lead to students not knowing how to react when a hug is received outside of the school from the opposite gender. Although this may seem like an exaggerated outcome, it still is plausible. Being allowed to hug any gender, I think will help students overall. After being stressed from a test grade or just struggling in school, a couple hugs from friends can do amazing things; increasing their mood and having a more positive attitude that will help them get through the day, effecting other people in the same way.
Previously before the no hugging the opposite gender rule, some people did abuse the ability to do so by excessively hugging and embracing someone. Even though I do believe in hugging and that the students should be able to have the ability to hug what gender they want, I also think that during school hours there should be limitations. I mean this in the way that people should not being excessively hugging or embracing in an inappropriate manner or time. At break time, lunch time, before and after school, hugging is appropriate and should be permitted. If the ability to hug is abused, in the event of that, it would be appropriate for a teacher to address this issue to the student. As high schoolers, we are becoming young adults and are getting ready to get out into the world. Giving the students the ability to choose to hug, (whether it be the opposite gender or not) gives us some free will to decide on if we would like to interact that way with people and responsibility on not abusing the rule during school hours if we choose to do so.
Hugging is a very beneficial way of interacting with someone to show love, compassion, and friendship. Being allowed to hug, all genders, I believe will benefit the whole school, improving overall moods and friendships. It is something you can not just receive, but involves giving and taking. Being a family in Christ, hugging is a way to show acceptance and love to one another no matter the gender. All in all, I think the students should be permitted to have the choice of showing affection in that way. Hugging is healthy and purely beneficial, which is one of the many reasons why I believe in hugging.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment